My name is Ashna Khanna and I told myself I’d never write a blog. Firstly, because literally everyone has a blog and secondly, I convinced myself no one would be interested in what I had to say. But as my Instagram posts became longer and my willingness to be vulnerable grew, I decided to venture into the world of bloggers and their dogs.
I decided I would share my story.
When I was 14 years old, I suffered a traumatic incident where I was physically assaulted, assaulted with a knife, and asphyxiated. After three surgeries, thirty-or-so days at Sunnybrook Hospital, and three months of rehabilitation, I was given a pat on the back for a speedy recovery. Although I regained most of my physical abilities fairly quickly and the evidence of my surgeries began to fade, I knew that “recovery” was still quite far away for me. As a result of the trauma, I live with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
As an aspiring medical student, most people have the impression that I always have my sh*t together. That is almost never the case. I have had thoughts of, and attempted suicide. My disordered eating habits (later diagnosed as Anorexia) caused me to be hospitalized. I have had 9 years of therapy, and I probably will have many more. But that isn’t why I decided to create this blog.
I decided to create this blog because I am proud of me.
I am proud of myself for surviving, and sometimes even thriving. I am proud of myself for being vulnerable and sharing my story. I am proud of choosing recovery.
So you know all of this but you should also know that I am so much more than my mental illness. For example:
- I’ve read each Harry Potter book at least 7 times (7 is the most magical number).
- I identify as a Gryffindor (but was sorted into Hufflepuff on Pottermore).
- One day, I hope to be able to do a head stand.
- My mom, J.K. Rowling, and Emma Watson are my biggest inspirations.
- I love puppies and babies way more than full-sized humans.
- My favourite disney princess is Belle but I also love Cinderella for her courage & kindness.
- My favourite book is the entire Harry Potter series because it’s really one gigantic book split into chapters and even smaller chapters.
- My dream job is to be a happy, well-balanced paediatrician (at Sick Kids Hospital).
- I used to really love writing poetry and I hope to start doing that again.
- I believe love is the closest thing to magic in the muggle world.